It is an utter waste of time



I've come to an unfortunate realization: what I do with my life is considered by the majority of the adult population to be an utter waste of time. I play. Now, if I were a kid, playing would be acceptable, but something happens during the transition between childhood and adulthood. It is called the Protestant Work Ethic(This is a stern moral code emphasizing the need for constant labor in life and work. Protestants consider work as one's duty because it benefits both the individual and society. So, working diligently is one's social obligation and a sign of God's influence and one's purity), and it is forced upon us through unspoken rules that demand that we take ourselves and our tasks very seriously indeed. Even if they are meant to be fun.

Once we leave school and hit the job market, things get worse. Everything we do is expected to have a purpose, or it's just not worth doing. We go to the gym to stay fit. We read novels to expand our minds. We go to the cinema to be entertained. We watch TV to have something to talk about over the watercooler. But as so-called adults, we certainly don't play. And not on our own. Heaven forbid, no. What a waste of time!

So, we stop. And what a shame! Because unless it's an acceptable form of social release which involves recognized, measurable output, we are not supposed to tinker(到处闲逛) , test and fiddle(虚度时光). There is no time for wanton (嬉戏的,荒唐的)exploration. No room for ridiculous theories. No lackadaisical (懒洋洋的)wandering through the fields of fun and frolic. (嬉闹).Sure, we can support our local sports team for solidarity or kick a ball around for exercise. It is OK to play music to create something beautiful, and we can go to the pub to socialize. In fact, it seems that going to the pub is the national form of play. But I don't play that. I play games instead.

This makes me some kind of curiously to be stared at and studies. A time waster! In public situations, I have been asked questions like, " what is wrong with your life if you have to retreat to some fantasy world for entertainment?" and " why don't you go outside?" This is from people who readily lose hours to the latest series of a fashionable TV program.

Nonsense! I answer, I have quite a fulfilling time playing. Thank you. I create things, write my own stories, collaborate with people and develop useful skills. What lies at the heart of people's problem with my play is that because I do these things via computer, I'm seemingly missing out on something critical. For example, the latest adventures of some character in a hit TV drama, I guess.

So while I have not solved the world's problems, found the cure for cancer, sorted out this pesky environment issue or run a marathon backwards for charity while wearing an oversized panda bear costume, I feel that my playtime has been much better spent that sitting comatose in front of the latest TV program. If nothing else, my computer gaming will save me years of therapy. I am undoubtedly still in touch with my inner child.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how happy are you right now?

The postmodern life of my aunt